Saturday, June 2, 2012

Memories - from Grandparents to Tea Parties.

One of the wonderful things about scrapbooking is that some of those little daily occurances or funny things that happen, which would normally be forgotten, are recorded and therefore become our memories.  Certainly big events like birthdays, graduations, weddings and the like are recorded and remembered but the ability to record those other stories which would normally be forgotten are there for not only our memory but for future generations.

I'm rather excited to have had my first layout accepted and published in the Australian edition of Creating Keepsakes magazine.  It is a layout of my son and his Grandma entitled Memories and is featured in the Reader's Gallery.  It tells the story of how my Mum worried that she would not have a close relationship with my kids as she lives in another state 1200 kms away but that as they have grown older and she has always come to visit or talk to them on the phone regularly that has never been a reality.  They love their grandparents and enjoy spending special time with them whenever they are able to.  I like that my kids will understand when they get older, how important it was to their Grandma to she have a close relationship with them and how hard she worked to make that a reality.

Here is the cover and it's on the shelves at your local newsagent now


Today I took my son to his under 7's soccer game at the local park.  My 9 year old daughter came along to support her brother and watch as always and set up camp on a rug beside the field playing with one of the boy's younger sisters whilst the game was in motion.  I turned at one stage from the play to check on the girls to find them having their own little play tea party.  On closer inspection, to my horror, I noticed that not only were they using the boy's water bottles as their tea pots but had my fresh packet of tampons open on the rug beside them and were dangling and jiggling a tampon in and out of the water bottle as their tea bag!!!  It was one of those situations were you jump quickly to remove the embarrassment and the poor little ones had no real idea of why I reacted the way I did.  However, on reflection I haven't been able to wipe the smile off my face all afternoon.  This is one of those stories I will record on a scrapbook page so that I can continue to remember and smile about their innocence for many years to come.  I look forward to pulling all these sorts of stories out at her 21st!






1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on being published in CK Aussie Edition! That's fantastic!! :D

    BTW - thanks so much for your kind words regarding my rollercoaster layout!

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete